Had to follow up the adorable Southwestern party we posted this morning with this little gem. A recipe to make your own puppy cake! And it looks kind of tasty. Is that weird?
To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Sift together the oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. Using me a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the applesauce, peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
3. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture add a time; alternate with 1/2 of the milk. Mix each addition just until combined. Divide the batter evenly into three greased and floured 6″ cake pans. You can also use two pans, but note that the layers will be thicker and may require a longer baking time.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes– cake should be lightly browned, spring back gently when touched, and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow the cakes to cool down completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
1. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat all ingredients just until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides once or twice.
2. Frost the cake in between layers and on the outside as desired. Or however you like!
Maybe it’s just us, but couldn’t you just make this cake for your kiddos too? Sounds like the perfect first birthday cake!
Thanks for sharing this recipe with us, Paper Heart Patisserie!
Concept Production: Love Party Society / Photography: Milou + Olin / Design and Styling: Artsy Heartsy Events / Floral Design: Scarlett & Grace / Cakes and Desserts: Paper Heart Patisserie / Invites: Meredith Carty Photography & Design / Venue: Good Work HQ / Rentals: Roots Reclaimed / Wardrobe Styling, Modeling and Casting: Babesicle / Wardrobe: Cuffs / Crocheted Decor: Whimzlove / Additional Model: Colour Me Classic / Photobooth and Props: Giggle + Riot / BBQ: Tankhouse BBQ / Wooden Cutlery: UrbanBelleNewYork